With every major tech company rolling out or in advanced stages of designing a smartwatch, wearable tech is the next frontier in the battle for control of the mobile device industry. Sony has already been there. Apple is rumoured to have an iWatch in the works that we could see next year. Motorola was around then disappeared. Samsung joined this modern arms race today with the Galaxy Gear.
It has metal and sapphire glass on the front if you were wondering whether it is another piece of glossy plastic made for your arm.
We don’t know yet whether the smartwatch will be locked down (i.e able to sync only with Samsung devices – which is more likely and not a good thing if you ask me) or it will be open (for any Android device that meets the required threshold).
Whether the Galaxy Gear will be a success or not is a question we’ll ask ourselves along the line but here’s everything about it at a glance:
- Has a built in speaker to allow for hands-free calls and integrates with S Voice to perform other functions like tell you what the weather is like, draft messages, set alarms etc.
- Voice Memo will capture your useful conversations and record them for you (you have to prompt it manually on the watch)
- Smart Relay – will relay whatever you are doing on the smartwatch to the companion/synced device. If for instance it is a notification requiring some more screen real estate, it will be relayed to the companion device where you can access it.
- Memographer – a 1.9 megapixel camera to quickly snap images and record video (720p) on the go
- Auto Lock – will automatically lock the synced smartphone screen any time that GALAXY Gear is more than 1.5 meters away from the smartphone, and then unlocks it when nearer to the phone again.
- Inbuilt support for S Health-like functionality (Pedometer).
- Supports Find My Device (check out what it is in the Galaxy Note 3 preview)
- Notifies users of incoming messages, calls, texts, emails and other alerts
- To be available in Jet Black, Mocha Gray, Wild Orange, Oatmeal Beige, Rose Gold, and Lime Green colours.
- It will be available the day the Note 3 ships: from 25th September.
- 800 Mhz processor (yeah a watch has a faster chip than all those 2011 mid-range devices)
- 1.63 inch (320 x 320) Super AMOLED display
- 1.9 megapixel camera (has sound and shot)
- 4 GB Internal memory
- 512 MB RAM
- Bluetooth 4.0 with LE
- Some S Apps
- Weighs in at 73.8g
- 315 mAh battery
- Something interesting: “Safety assistance: In case of emergency, press a power button 3 times continuously, and then user’s location information is transferred to the saved contacts with message.”
What can you do with it besides the above? We are yet to know but there are several apps that will support the Galaxy Gear out of the box like Path, Pocket, MyFitnessPal and RunKeeper, Vivino Wine Scanner.