There’s this pre-paid debit card that I’ve been using for the last few months. I’ll tell you more about it some other day but for those that have it, here’s a handy guide on how you can easily “top-up” your card using Safaricom’s M-PESA service instead of having to visit a Diamond Trust Bank branch every now and then.
This article is inspired by the fact that every time I want to load money on my card to spend I usually have to either look at my manual (which is usually not with me anyway) or call a friend who has the card to remind me the M-PESA pay bill number and the rest of the procedure. I’m simply being selfish and sharing a personal reference so if you can relate, you’re welcome to refer to this anytime.
So here’s how to load your Mi-Card using M-PESA:
1. Open your SIM toolkit
2. Select M-PESA
3. Select Lipa na M-PESA
4. Select Pay Bill
5. Select Enter business no.
6. Enter business number 516604
7. Enter your phone number as your account no.
8. Enter the amount you want to top up your Mi-Card with
9. Enter your M-PESA PIN
10. Confirm top up transaction details. Check that you have entered the correct Pay Bill number and account number (your phone number)/ Press OK.
11. Wait for two confirmation texts on your phone one from Mi-Card and the other from Safaricom M-PESA alerting you that you have received money from yourself and that part of your money has been transferred to your Mi-Card respectively.
12. You’re good to go. Happy spending! 🙂